Wednesday, September 17, 2014

One month!

Hi!!!

I've already been out one month. So crazy! I still feel like a baby here, but that's okay! I'll wait till next transfer when we get new missionaries. =)

The mission is wonderful! We're having a hard time finding more investigators in our area since all of ours got baptized a few days before I got here....what a dilemma to be in. Ha. We'll keep searching! We did have a cool experience the other day during lunch. We stopped at a park to eat and there was a group writing uplifting thoughts with sidewalk chalk for suicide prevention week. They asked us if we'd like to write something. Of course!! Scripture time!! I wrote Philippians 4: 13. The cool part was as we were finishing a guy stood next to me and was reading the scripture. As we started talking I felt like I should give him a pass-a-long card. I was originally looking for the card for a free DVD about Christ. I knew there were some in my bag since I had just put some in there moments ago, but I couldn't find them. All I could find was a Book of Mormon card. I figured I'd just give him that instead. We talked for a moment, the entire time he was just staring at the card. He said, "You know, I actually already have this book. My grandpa was a Mormon. He was the coolest old man." Score! We talked to him and he is more than willing to meet with us. They all thanked us for the scriptures and we left. I loved that God knew exactly what card this man needed and he helped me find it. After we left, all I could find were the DVD cards. Small and simple things. =)


Sites were amazing this week! An older sister came in. We found out she had joined the church in the 80's and we didn't think much of it, just that she lived close and wanted to come see the sites again. But as we got to know her, we found out that she had fallen away from the church and had just started the process of coming back and coming to Kirtland was her first step. She was amazing! She had been in a car wreck and couldn't really walk,so we only made it to the main floor of the Whitney Store. We talked with her about her journey and her faith in Christ. You could see how much she has gone through and how grateful she was for a Savior who would never turn His back on her and was there with open arms when she gave up those things holding her back and returned to Him. Wow, she was such an inspiration. I love talking to people like her.
​ 
A tour we took yesterday was with a couple from Boise, ID. They had never been here and said people thought they were crazy for stopping after visiting Palmyra since it was so far out of their way. As we walked through the store she asked about Christ showing Himself in Kirtland and knew it happened, but wasn't sure. We told her He did and in four places in Kirtland. She was beyond happy. We didn't tell her more since we were about to walk into the School of the Prophets and would talk about it there. The moment we walked through the door she started to sob. She said, "This is one of the places, wasn't it? I can feel it." Ahh, the Spirit was wonderful and we had such a wonderful discussion on the Lord's love for His children! I know that God loves every single one of His children and He wants us all to be happy. The entire reason for the Gospel of Jesus Christ is for our happiness. I feel it every day here. Such a blessing to know that and not be lost or confused and to have that guidance in this crazy life. I know that we can all know that through study and prayer. It normally doesn't come fast like turning on a light, it's normally slow like the sunrise. The key is noticing that it's getting lighter. (See Elder Bednar's Patterns of Light. So good!!) 

Thank you all for your love and support. I couldn't do it without you. =)

Love your favorite missionary, 
Sister Burns

My cute little grey house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment