Sunday, November 2, 2014

"Patience, Iago"

Hello out there!

This week was wonderful! A learning week by far. 

I was asked to teach a Christlike attribute at District Meeting on Thursday. I felt like I should teach on patience, so I had been studying that all week. Why is patience a Christlike attribute? In every story about Christ He shows wonderful, perfect patience. Others would not listen or even try to understand, but He still showed patience. They would turn their backs on Him or try to prove Him wrong, but He still showed patience. He loved them always and they could care less. I am in awe at how perfect of an example He is to all of us. How often do we get frustrated with life? Co-workers, children, roommates, Utah drivers and constant construction (I had to), and especially with ourselves? I realized this week that there is so much joy and freedom in Christlike patience. Life is hard, but when we have that patience for others and let them grow and learn, as well as give ourselves the time we need to grow and learn, we will have such happiness through all the chaos of life.  
The day before District Meeting we were able to have interviews with President Vellinga. (These happen once every three months...and I have the best mission president ever! Just in case you were wondering) I gained the strongest testimony this week that Heavenly Father knows me. He knows what I need even before I know. He will constantly guide and direct me in my life and help me see His hand as He does so. As I was sitting in my interview, President asked me out of the blue how I was doing with patience. What! Inspiration! I just thought I was studying for a district meeting, but it turns out I was studying for much, much more. We talked about being patient with the work, patient with the Lord, and patient with myself. 
I don't know about you, but as a missionary it's so easy to get down on yourself for not being the best or even get frustrated with others for not doing what you think they should be doing. Yeah, those thoughts are not good and are not from God. The Devil is sure sneaky and likes to pull us down one negative thought at a time. I found this week, that as I study the life of the Savior and rely on Him, those thoughts go away and the Spirit rushes in. The Lord wants us to be happy and, through Him, we can and WILL find it. 

Things that make a missionary really happy:
- A recent convert asking how he can share the gospel with his co-worker because he wants him to feel the happiness that he feels now
- A convert going through the Temple for the first time and excited beyond belief
- Letters in the mail! (Thank you Diane and the Harts! Just to name two.)
- Members that take care of the missionaries and call them just to make sure they're doing alright
- During nightly planning both of us at the same time get the feeling to visit an elderly lady in the ward. It turns out she just had surgery and was really wanting visitors. God knows His children!
- Taking a group on tour and feeling the Spirit SO strong! 
- Being able to testify on the Book of Mormon and the truths it holds
- Being able to serve a family in the ward who really needs it and not knowing how much before going over to their home
- Being a line for a lady in the ward who needs support and friends to help her through very rough times
- 70 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- New missionary name tag with "Historic Kirtland Visitors' Center" on it! Yeah, be jealous. 
- STAKE CONFERENCE!! Amazing talks, wonderful people. The work is going forward!

Things that don't make a missionary happy:
- MICE IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone knows me, I'm terrified of mice. Yeah, there was a mouse in the kitchen. Old homes...not sure I'm okay with this. Haha


I love you all! Thank you for your love and support!
Sister Burns


 
MICE! It was sure hungry.

Pres. Vellinga

No comments:

Post a Comment