Monday, February 9, 2015

Teach Me, Teach Me, to Walk in the Light -- Weekly Letter

Hello All!!! 

Happy Valentines Day!!!

In light of my six month mark this coming Friday (Friday the 13th...yeah, we'll ignore that....) I've decided to share six lessons I have learned on my mission! Brilliant, I know. 

1) Patience -- This is the number one lesson learned (and I'm still working on it). Patience with the work, members, investigators, people on the street, the mission in general, the snow, (the hardest part) myself, and so on. But as we put all of our burdens and faults in a bag and give them to the Savior, He will hold onto them and make our weaknesses become strengths. I have a lot of weaknesses...more than I ever thought I had, but goodness, Heavenly Father can help us grow stronger with anything as we turn to Him. It's a constant day by day check-in, but we can be better and better as we strive to work at it.  

2) Perseverance -- Ooo, the mission is hard. It's by far the hardest thing I have ever done. But as I have pushed through, the blessings have made everything worth it! There is no greater work and nothing I'd rather be doing. Yes, the mission is FULL of hard times. Every day there is a new hill to climb over, but it can and will be conquered as I keep going. God has my back. 

3) Perspective -- While looking at tasks, people, problems, lessons, the gospel -- anything really -- I have been able to change my perspective and see things through Heavenly Father's eyes. Everything I'm doing is to "invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end". This isn't about numbers or making myself feel accomplished. All of this is about helping Heavenly Father in anyway possible and His work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. That's what's important -- an eternal perspective. Nothing else matters in the grand scheme of things. Who cares if someone shuts the door in my face as long as I'm doing what Heavenly Father has asked of me.    

4) Positive -- The Spirit doesn't like negativity and I cannot do anything without the Spirit. Therefore, I have to be positive to accomplish anything. And when I'm positive, everything else is better! "Come what may, and love it!"

5) Plan -- God has a plan for His children. It's simple and He loves each and every one of us. We can know for ourselves the direction we should go and what our Father in Heaven would have us do. Perfect happiness comes from understanding and living Heavenly Father's plan for us.  

6) Prepared -- "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear". Never before has this scripture stood out to me so much. For me, it's preparing lessons, preparing to talk to others, preparing to help others come to Christ, preparing myself to feel the Spirit. There are so many ways to apply this scripture, but I know as I rely on the Lord, have faith in Him, and do all that I can, God will take care of the rest. It's a promise. 

They all ended up starting with the letter "p", but they have been the best lessons to learn. I'm not perfect at these things, but it has been great to work on them and I'll keep doing that! I know that if you feel like you need help in one of these areas that God will help you, too! It's such a blessing to know that we can change and progress. 

Also, just a quick update...

MARY CAME TO CHURCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Miracles happen! She loved it! It was different for her, but she quite enjoyed it. She keeps saying how she doesn't want to move forward in her current religion right now because she doesn't feel peace. I keep praying that she feels that peace as we continue to meet. And to top off the day, she has read 14 chapters of the Book of Mormon in less than a week. We only asked her to read one. Ahh, I'm so grateful for her!

You are all wonderful! Thanks for being such a support. 

Love, 
Sister Burns


Karl & Joyce Anderson....yeah, they're pretty awesome! Such a blessing to have them in my area!!!

Serving members -- the Dickson's. Ten hours of service this week. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment