Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Let the Lower Lights Be Burning

Transfers!!!!

Six months in Shaker Heights and I was finally transferred to....

KIRTLAND NORTH!!

I am going through a bit of separation anxiety, but I'm loving Kirtland already. My area covers the northern part of the ward. From Mentor (pronounced Menor if you're from Ohio) all the way up to Fairport Harbor on the lake (Cool fact: Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy was written about Fairport Harbor). 

My new companion is Sister Isabella (Eeesabella...not the normal way of saying it) Heckert. She's from Orem, Utah and is so great! She has been out eight months and was just companions with Sister Guinn! (Once again, we switch places) I love her to pieces and we have so much fun. She's so easy to talk to and easy to work with. I can already see this transfer going great! I've moved houses (still by the visitors center) and I love it. There are full sized windows and the ceiling is full height -- much improved from my last little pioneer home. I can breathe! It took a few days to feel like I was home, but it's getting so much better. Adjustment.  

The Kirtland Ward is great. The culture is completely different from Shaker....who would have guessed after only being 30-40 minutes away. I feel like I'm in a different state. Further away from the ghetto, I guess.

I was able to give a talk my first Sunday there. It was great! Still not the easiest thing to do, but I love being able to study and invite others to come closer to Christ. I talked about small and simple things and how those things bring us close to Christ. He is the ultimate source of a happy life and through those little things we can see that. Life is hard, but it becomes so much easier to handle when Christ is in charge of the reigns. He loves us and will give us the absolute best!    

Sister Heckert and I have had so much success in just the few short days we have been together. Three new investigators and so many great lessons! 

New investigators:
Boyd is 84 and stubborn as ever! He loves the church, he just has a few things holding him back. He came to watch Meet the Mormons with us yesterday and he loved it! He even shed a tear or two. He's the sweetest and I can see how much he wants this in his life. 

Tom and Geri. Yep, I'm teaching Tom and Geri. Missionaries had stopped by a few months ago and periodically throughout the years previous, but nothing ever happened. We had a lesson with them on Sunday and read through the introduction of the Book of Mormon. After reading and discussing it, Tom said, "If I would have known this I would have read this book before". Both him and Geri are excited to read it this week and I cannot wait to see what happens. Also, Tom is Santa. Like, it's really him. Beard, rosy cheeks, laugh, twinkling eyes, the suit. Everything. One day I will get a picture to send to you. Best day ever. 

To top it off, the weather was horrible and I get to drive a mini van! Oh yeah. Driving around in style. Don't ask me why. I have no idea. I had to trade a Subaru for a van...oh Bessy. Anyway, she hates the snow and tends to get stuck all the time! Well, on Sunday she kept getting stuck when we parked, but then she always made it out of the spot with no issues when we left our appointments. God knows what's important and knows we're doing what He needs us to do. I guess on Sunday He didn't have time for us to get stuck, so it never happened. Little miracles. 

It reached -30 with the windchill multiple times this past week. Just throwing that out there. 

To top off the week, we got three new investigators over chat! Blessings! I love being able to bring further happiness in the lives of others through Christ. Nothing is better. 

Well, I've got to run, but know that I love this work. I love my Savior and I know that He loves each and every one of you no matter what you're going through in life. We can always turn to him and we can always see the miracles He gives us each day.     

Love you all!
Sister Burns

Also, my one year of going through the temple was on the 22nd! Goodness, I love the temple so much. The blessings that come from there are better than anything we could ever have or wish to have. I cannot wait to go back!! 

Sister Heckert!!! We need to take more pictures. This doesn't really look like her and I might have sent it home already. Sorry if I did.

​ 
Posterity picture! Me, my mother, my daughter, and grand daughter. Whew!  

No comments:

Post a Comment