Tuesday, March 24, 2015

"Wipe Off the Tar and Keep Going"

Hello world!!

I only have time for a quick thought today.....


So last Wednesday we were able to have a special conference with President and Sister Vellinga down at the John Johnson Farm in Hiram, Ohio. It was just for the sister missionaries in the mission. We were able to receive some counsel from them both and take a tour of the Johnson Farm with all of us. (I only give tours in Kirtland unless my proselyting area is Hiram, so it was a treat.)

While at the farm, they tell the story of Joseph getting tarred and feathered by the mob. (Which actually happened on March 24, 1832...today. Fact for ya.) I love this story for a few reasons, but President pointed out a new perspective that we can apply to our lives and with anything we do. 


Joseph was nearly beaten to death and they spent the entire night wiping tar from his skin. Because of that night, they lost a little baby, too. I cannot imagine the pain that inflicted or the strength it would have taken to keep going. But he did and that's the point that President made. Joseph got up, struggled home, wiped the tar off, and kept going. He didn't give up. We are not called to go through the same trials, but when we press forward and keep our eyes on the Savior we can overcome ALL trials. We can "wipe off the tar and keep going". Sure, it's hard, but it's possible. Through the Savior, anything is possible.    

I'm so grateful for the lessons I'm learning out here and for the people I get to help. It's such a blessing. Nothing is better. 

Have a great week! Don't forget Women's Conference on the 28th and #BecauseHeLives on the same day. Share it! And General Conference the next weekend. SO EXCITED! 

I love you all! 

Sister Burns
 
Nothing too exciting this week. But my plant is blooming!!! 

For my Mother. =) Happy belated St. Patrick's Day. Now I just need some corned beef and cabbage.

P.S. I finally got to talk to Dave! He's working with the missionaries and is going to get baptized the end of April!! They're still setting the date. I'm so excited!!! He's so ready! I love seeing the change in his life. It was so dark and he had so much guilt. Through the gospel, that guilt is leaving and the light of Christ is flowing in. Nothing is better!!!

Sister Burns 

No comments:

Post a Comment